(1Jn 2:16) For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Parallel the above passage with this one.
(Gen 3:6) And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
Notice the order is the same. Lust of the flesh, Lust of the eyes, and the Pride of Life.
These are the same temptations that our Lord met with when he was tempted of Satan in Matthew 4 also. They are temptations common to all men.
1) Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2) And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3) And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4) But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
5) Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6) And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7) Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
8) Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9) And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
10) Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
11) Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
Man life is so hard sometimes from our perspective. It is so demanding. I am finding it hard to combat a hard bitter heart in older years. I thank God he loves me and and proved it by the blood of Christ. Sweet Reconciliation! I can’t seem to find life anywhere else but in the Spirit and Word of God. Thank God he is Omni-present.